A three step dessert recipe for those cosy nights in. Just add cocktails…
There are few dessert recipes better than poached pears – minimal effort for maximum flavour. Pair with Brockmans Gin, and you have yourself a winning combination.
We can’t take all the credit. This recipe was created and photographed by self-confessed foodie, Anna Wierzbinska. All it takes is one look at her perfectly-curated Instagram to realise her passion for food and photography…
In between her colourful, nutritious salads and delicious seasonal produce on her blog, you’ll find three-layered chocolate cakes, skillet cookies, and cruller doughnuts. It’s all about balance – and Anna’s Gin, Cassis & Bay Poached Pears with Blackberries is the perfect example. Top off this dessert with our Brockmans Blackberry Bramble, and you’re in for a truly decadent treat…
GIN, CASSIS & BAY POACHED PEARS WITH BLACKBERRIES
By Anna Wierzbinska. Serves 6.
- 6 just-ripe pears (peeled and halved)
- 45 ml Brockmans Gin
- 100 ml cassis
- 300 ml red wine
- 70g caster sugar
- 4-5 bay leaves
- 1 star anise
- 100g blackberries
- Place gin, cassis, red wine and caster sugar in a large saucepan.
- Add pears, bay leaves, star anise and poach the pears, covered, for about 20-30 minutes, making sure they are covered in the wine. Cooking time will vary, depending on how ripe your pears are. The pears should be tender all the way through when pierced with a toothpick/ cocktail stick.
- Remove the pears and the bay leaves from the saucepan and boil the liquid to reduce it by about half, until thick and syrupy.
- Serve pears with scattered blackberries and juices drizzled over them.
BROCKMANS BLACKBERRY BRAMBLE
- 35ml lemon juice
- 15 large blackberries
- 40ml cassis
- 30ml sugar syrup
- 80ml Brockmans Gin
- In a medium jug or jar, combine the lemon juice and blackberries and muddle until blackberries have broken up. Fill the jug/jar with ice.
- Pour in the cassis, sugar syrup and gin and stir everything together until well combined. Using a cocktail strainer, pour the mixture into individual glasses.
- Garnish with blackberries if you desire.