A gooey, sticky stack of vegan, decadent deliciousness….
For an indulgent, boozy weekend brunch that you don’t have to feel guilty about, try these fluffy, American-style, pancakes made with rich raw cacao and vanilla, layered with a blackberry and blueberry compote infused with a good hit of Brockmans Gin. Did we mention they’re vegan?
Natalie Penny, of Natalie Naturally is behind our very first vegan recipe for our blog. A married mum of two, Natalie started her family off with Meatless Mondays in search of ways to eat healthy for the family. Before long, Natalie’s delicious vegetarian menu was proving to be more popular than old family favourites, which led to the decision to moving on from all animal products together.
Natalie started her blog as place where she could share simple, easy-to-follow recipes that her family and friends love – who said vegan eating had to be hard?
Her chocolate pancake stack is the perfect example – except these pancakes are for adults only…
DECADENT VEGAN CHOCOLATE PANCAKE STACK WITH BROCKMANS GIN BERRY COMPOTE
By Natalie Penny.
Serve with coconut cream or plant-based vanilla yogurt and extra berries.
- 1 cup/220g almond or oat milk
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp vanilla bean paste
- 1 cup/220g all-purpose flour
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 2 heaped tbsp good raw cacao powder
- 2 tbsp caster sugar
- Pinch of salt
Berry Gin Compote
- 1 cup/220g blackberries
- 1 cup/220g blueberries
- 3 tbsp caster sugar
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- ¼ cup/55g Brockmans Gin
- In a small bowl, combine the wet ingredients and set aside.
- In a larger bowl, combine the dry and set aside.
- In a small saucepan, combine the berries, sugar and syrup and heat on medium, cook the berries stirring regularly until they release all their juices. Continue to bubble until the compote thickens slightly and the berries have broken down. This should take about 5-10 minutes.
- Once the berries are ready, remove from the heat, set aside and allow to cool a little.
- Combine the wet ingredients into the dry and stir to combine. Do not over mix, it’s ok if there are a few lumps in the batter. Set the batter aside.
- Heat a large non-stick pan to high.
- Add a little oil to coat the pan, add dollops of batter and cook the pancakes until bubbles appear in the centre and the edges are beginning to dry. Flip and cook for a further minute or two. Remove from the heat and cook the remaining pancakes.
- Before serving, stir the Brokmans Gin into the compote.
- Serve 2-3 pancakes per person depending on size, top with a few tablespoons of compote and dollops of yogurt. Finish with extra fresh berries.