With the weather heating up, lighter meals, fresh berries and refreshing G&Ts are becoming more desirable by the day. Which is why we asked Stella Pereira of Little Cake Pot to develop something that would incorporate all three. Her creation: a summer berry pavlova with Brockmans Gin & cherry sauce.
Just a quick glance at Stella’s Instagram will give you a glimpse at how she lives her life: in appreciation of the moment. Her blog in an extension of that, beautifully making parallels between rising bread and patience, and the importance of enjoying longer cups of tea. With the year halfway over, it’s a nice reminder to enjoy those long evenings with friends, gin and good food. Before you recreate this dessert at home, we’d recommend having a look at her site for more inspiration…
Summer Berry Pavlova with Brockmans Gin & Cherry Sauce
By Stella Rodrigues
For the meringue
- 4 large egg whites
- 240g caster sugar
- 1 teaspoon Cider vinegar
For the Pavlova
- 400g fresh strawberries (halved and quartered), Cherries and blueberries
- 250g mascarpone, chilled
- 100g natural yoghurt
- 30g orange blossom honey
- 1 vanilla pod
For the Brockmans Gin and cherry sauce
- 250g pitted cherries
- 30g Brockmans Gin
- 100g caster sugar
- 60g filtered water
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- Preheat the oven to 150 deg C / gas 2.
- In a medium-sized pan, place cherries, Brockmans Gin, water, and sugar. Stir on medium heat until sugar has dissolved. Bring the mixture to a gentle simmer. Stirring occasionally until the sauce has reduced and thickened. Add the lemon juice and simmer for another two minutes. Cool and chill until needed.
- Place the egg whites in a large bowl and whisk on medium speed until they start to form stiff peaks.
- With the mixer still running, slowly add the sugar, a heaped spoon at a time. When all the sugar has been incorporated add the cider vinegar and turn the mixer up to high speed and whisk until the meringue is smooth and glossy.
- Line a baking sheet with baking paper. Using a large metal spoon, place a blob of the meringue in the centre of your tray and spread until you form a circle of approximately 20cm. Add the rest of your meringue mixture and create a well in the middle. Using a spatula, lift the meringue sides and create swirls on the surface. Place in the oven, lower the heat to 135 deg C and bake for 1 hour.
- Turn the heat off, but leave the pavlova in the oven until it cools completely.
- In a large bowl, whip the cream and honey until it forms soft peaks, add the yoghurt. Cut the vanilla pod lengthwise, scrape the seeds from the vanilla pod using the back of a knife. Add and fold into the cream mixture.
- Spoon the cream into the meringue well. Place larger berries first, then fill the gaps with strawberry quarters, pitted cherries and blueberries. Drizzle with Brockmans Gin and Cherry sauce.