We know, we know. There are plenty of Brockmans recipes for sweet treats. To balance out our menu we turned to the creative mind of Carolina Falk for a delicious tomato soup recipe. A plant-based food blogger, she’s become quite the expert in veganising your favourite meat dishes, some of which you can find over on her Instagram page. Just make sure you don’t have an empty stomach…
This is certainly a starter like no other. Thanks to a generous helping of Brockmans. It’s the perfect addition to colder evenings with or without a Brockmans and Tonic. This dish is the kind of thing you’ll want to share with all your guests, it’s perfectly balanced. Just like our gin. Now, where did we leave that tonic…
Tomato & Gin Soup
- 1 kg vine tomatoes
- 240ml/2 cups vegetable stock
- 2 tbsp fresh thyme (minced)
- 1 tsp fresh oregano (minced)
- 1 tbsp fresh sage (minced)
- 1 tbsp butter
- 120ml/1/2 cup Brockmans Gin
- 2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
1. Preheat the oven to 200º C and line a baking tray with parchment paper. Wash tomatoes, cut in half and place in large bowl. Add 1 tsp salt, pepper, 1 tbsp thyme and oregano. Toss until all ingredients are well combined.
2. Lay tomatoes cut side up on baking sheet and roast in oven for 25-30 minutes.
3. Transfer roasted tomatoes to a large pot and add vegetable stock. Bring soup to boil and add sage and remaining thyme. Reduce heat, cover and let simmer gently for approximately 45 minutes, stirring occasionally.
4. In a separate pot, melt butter over medium heat. Add gin and gently bring to a boil, allowing alcohol to evaporate.
5. Add mixture to soup, season and bring to a boil again. Remove from heat and transfer to blender. Blend until smooth then transfer back into pot, taste and adjust seasoning to taste.
6. Serve in bowls, drizzle lightly with extra-virgin olive oil, with a side of fresh bread.